Position: Digital Content Manager
Status: 6-Month Independent Contractor, with the possibility to extend
Pay: $26 – $30 / hour commensurate with experience
Schedule: Up to 22 hours per week
Location: This is a remote position, though occasional opportunities to attend in-person meetings or events may arise.
Application Deadline: February 16, 2024
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Digital Content Manager’ in the subject line.
Who is Runners for Public Lands:
Runners for Public Lands is the leading 501(c)(3) nonprofit advocacy organization representing runners in protecting the environment. We are passionate about climate action, protection of public lands, and equitable access to outdoor recreation.
What You Will Do:
Using a variety of media platforms, the Digital Content Manager will create and manage communications that drive community growth, engagement, and revenue for our rapidly growing nonprofit. This person will work closely with RPL’s Managing Director and be responsible for the organization’s day-to-day digital presence.
- Create and manage engaging written, visual, and multimedia content and digital campaigns for RPL’s social media platforms and communications channels.
- Design marketing and public relations materials to enhance brand awareness, advocacy, and fundraising efforts.
- Track and report the effectiveness of our digital communications and recommend improvements based on relevant trends, best practices, and emerging technologies.
This position holds great potential for someone who wants to impact both environmental and outdoor recreation spaces while developing experience in digital advocacy, communications, content creation, and marketing.
Who Are We Looking For:
Our team at RPL is excited to meet candidates who are passionate, willing to learn, eager to take initiative, and can work independently. The Digital Content Manager will be expected to actively engage in RPL’s mission and maintain messaging that is consistent with our values. Additionally, they should work well with a wide population of people ranging from community members to our Board of Directors and National Advisory Council.
Our ideal candidate has a minimum of 2-3 years of communications and/or marketing experience. While it is not required that this experience be in the nonprofit sector, an interest in environmental justice, advocacy, outdoor recreation, and conservation is essential.
1. Create and manage engaging written, visual, and multimedia content and digital campaigns for RPL’s social media platforms and communications channels.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of comprehensive digital content strategies aligned with the organization’s goals and target audience.
- Utilize the project management tool Monday.com to plan and track social media and digital communications schedules on a shared calendar.
- Create compelling, impactful, and interactive content on our social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and LinkedIn to drive engagement, increase followers, and promote visibility of events, interactive campaigns, and fundraising efforts. *Note that we currently use some platforms more than others and are interested in expanding our social media presence.
- Design, execute, and analyze digital advocacy campaigns to support specific causes or initiatives, ensuring consistency with organizational values and objectives.
- Act as the brand guardian, ensuring that all content is on-brand and consistent in terms of RPL’s tone of voice, style, and quality.
- Respond to comments, questions, and messages across various platforms promptly.
- Update website/blog to be consistent with current RPL initiatives, events, campaigns, and program activities.
2. Design marketing and public relations materials to enhance brand awareness and support advocacy and fundraising efforts.
- Share organizational updates and announcements directly with members, subscribers, partners, and collaborators.
- Design marketing materials that effectively communicate key messages, raise awareness of events and initiatives, support efforts of the staff and the Board of Directors, and enhance RPL’s public image.
- Draft press releases to broadly announce high-profile projects, partnerships, and events.
3. Track and report the effectiveness of our digital communications and suggest improvements based on relevant trends, best practices, and emerging technologies.
- Monitor trends to inform the team how we may evolve our strategy, reach new audiences, and be more impactful in the digital landscape.
- Utilize analytics tools to track the effectiveness and impact of our work and campaign performance, and provide insights and recommendations for continuous improvement.
The Ideal Candidate has a minimum of 2-3 years of relevant experience and is:
Creative – interested in developing unique content that will spark engagement.
Detailed – eager to take initiative, self-edit, create calendars, and meet deadlines.
Self-starter – can identify areas of opportunity, be creative and solution-oriented.
Passionate – about intersectional communication theory and the importance of DEI.
Driven – by a desire to change the community we are a part of for the better.
Active – in community building, the outdoors, and/ or environmental spaces.
Innovative – motivated by opportunities to bring ideas to the table.
Experienced – in the fields of communication, advocacy, marketing, public relations, social media, and/ or design.
Autonomous – able to hold themselves accountable for multiple projects on their plate.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with ‘Digital Content Manager’ in the subject line, no later than February 16, 2024. Please expect an interview process consisting of video call(s) with RPL Directors and Staff and submission of work examples and references.
Runners for Public Lands is an equal-opportunity employer and we believe that inclusivity and diversity are critical to the success of our organization. Our priority is to recruit top talent from a diverse pool of candidates. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
If you meet more than 75% of the qualifications of this description, we encourage you to apply.